Tuesday, November 10

WOW. So, last June, I created this blog as a way to share more of my thoughts with more and more people. I have a lot of thoughts, and most of them, I think, would be considered interesting. I had been sharing them on my Myspace page for years but I didn't like everything else about that whole mess. I also started it because my friend Jay started one and was doing some pretty neat things with video blogging. I went to look at his blog today and he too hasn't touched his in three months. I don't think it had anything to do with not having something to say for either of us. Jay and I always have something funny to say. But alas, Jay has 2 jobs and works like a fiend. I, however, don't have that limitation. So what is my excuse? The simple answer is..... I don't have one.

Moving on.

So, tomorrow is Veterans Day. One day a year where people think of those men and women that have fought in wars. It doesn't matter if you actually know a veteran. You're suppose to appreciate all they've done, which also included dying. Here's the thing. I think of veterans everyday. Well.... really just one of them. My brother is a Marine. A Jarhead, Leatherneck, Devil Dog. A veteran of the Second Iraq war, Mark has been on my mind alot recently. He's stateside these days, working on his tan in southern California's 29 Palms. I have no idea what exactly he does all day. Every now and then he goes out into the desert and shoots some really big pieces of artillery but that's all I know. Although my brothers biggest danger at this time is drinking too much on friday nights(so proud), I can't help but be the older brother and be concerned about his well being.

A little background about our brotherly love. Me and my brother didn't use to get along. He use to steal my stuff, then I'd steal it back(plus an extra item or two), and so on and on. He wore cloths that were 3 sizes too big that usually came from my closet. Quit a paper route because it meant getting up too early on the weekends. On a basic level, Mark was kind of a tool. It was hard to relate to him. Our sister, Lisa, is less then two years older then me, but Mark is almost 4 years younger then me. Mark and I were 2 different people. Even with all that, I still loved him and would've taken a bullet for him. And it wasn't all bad. We had tons of fun terrorizing people. Mark and I always knew how to team up and mess with peoples heads. Still do it to this day. Every time he's back in town, mom's blood pressure get's worse. Fun times!

So far, the proudest day in my life was watching Mark walk across the parade grounds at the Marine Corp. Recruit Depot. Accepting his eagle, globe, and anchor and becoming a Marine. The fact that there was a war still raging in the Middle East and it was pretty obvious he was headed straight for it was furthest from my mind. Mark had grown up before my very eyes.

Then, he shipped out to Iraq. Leave it to Mark to pick a job that didn't get used very much. Why use artillery when you have smart bombs from unmanned drones? So they made him protect convoys and bases. Other basic, but still dangerous, tasks. Got a call every now and then with every conversation ending in "Love you, bro". It was then that I realized how much I actually missed him. The scrawny little brother that always stole my things was fighting in a war and I was a little scared for him. By the grace of god and his own common sense, Mark made it back home even after so many didn't. Reassigned to the Marine Base at 29 Palms, he's been there ever since.

I guess my point is this. It's great that everyone takes the time on Nov. 11th to think of veterans. But I beat everybody at it. Because, for people like me, Veterans Day happens everyday. But it's not a competition. I'm just saying....

It's what I do!


No comments:

Post a Comment